Saturday 2 August 2014

My Favourite TV Show Intros

Sometimes, watching the intro to a TV show is almost as awesome as the actual show.
There's just certain things about them, whether it be the intro song/tune or the way it's filmed that makes me not want to hit that skip button.

  1. Doctor Who - Whenever I hear this playing I'm like "Do I hear the song of my people!"
    When we watch Doctor Who my sister and I like to sing along to the theme song (usually horrendously out of tune) and do a weird little dance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ1kRxgKft4
    This youtube video shows all of the Doctor Who theme-songs to date (I think)
    Sylvester McCoy's 1987-1989 and Paul McGann's 1996 themes win the prize for being the weirdest (although, they are still strangely awesome) and my favourite is David Tennant's 2007 theme.
  2. The Musketeers - The BBC certainly got this intro right, it's fast-paced and exciting and the music is by Murray Gold - composer of the Doctor Who Soundtrack.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1azrzq_the-musketeers-opening-credits_creation
    I was completely sold on this show from the moment I saw the intro.
    There's nothing like watching men striding around in leather to awesome music!
    Also, Aramis is completely awesome in every way, just saying.
  3. Vikings - The sheer epicness of this intro cannot properly be expressed in words!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmyCRJkKeKs
    It's super dramatic and is filmed in a way that I really really like.
    Also, there's lots of symbolism and references to Norse mythology and legend.
    It really fits with the whole tone of the series, and if I wasn't convinced about watching the show at first, the intro really did the trick.
  4. Game of Thrones - Confession: I haven't actually seen this show, but I have seen the intro, and it is amazing.
    It reminds me of the pop-up books I played with as a child, but on a far larger and darker scale.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8
    You're basically getting a whirlwind tour of Westros accompanied by a great theme song.
  5. Firefly - This intro is totally different than the rest, but I still love it.
    https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=309569430991
    I adore the theme song (and I will sing along to it VERY badly when I'm home alone).
    It defiantly brings across the whole space-cowboy theme!
  6. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - I am a huge fan of both the 20s and murder mysteries so I love this show.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM5tf3tddlI
    The intro is so fun and the music really makes me want to dance every time I hear it.
    I also love the way whole intro is designed to look like a watercolour painting.
    Miss Fisher's eccentric personality and fabulous style is portrayed admirably.
  7. Elementary - I am not really a big fan of this show, but the one thing I did really like about it was the intro.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7JT3iMzS4k
    It reminds me of a game my sister has called Mousetraps where you have to build this elaborate chain reaction which will eventually lower a cage trapping the plastic mouse.
    The intro has a vaguely steampunkish (is that even a word?) feel, what with all the spinning guns, wire and cogs (sadly this is not really carried through into the show).
    The music is really cool too.
  8. Sherlock - First of all, I am over the moon to hear there's going to be another season FANGIRLS UNCONTROLLABLY!!!!!!!!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=166WMvLQ8ss
    I pretty much love everything about this intro, especially the music and the bit with the title.
    It feels really busy and conveys to me a sense of how big and busy London is and how hard it actually must be to solve crimes there.
    For any of you out there who play a musical instrument, I'm pretty sure you can find the sheet music for the theme on the internet.
Do you have any favourite TV show intros?
If you do, please share them with me in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment