Friday 21 March 2014

The Lord of Silver Fountains...

This weekend I was overcome with an uncontrollable urge to do something creative with my time instead of just of just scrolling through Pinterest until my eyes glaze over.
I decided to embroider something to frame for my wall. Ironically, the idea for my embroidery pattern came from Pinterest.

Original Source: http://the-hobbit.tumblr.com/post/70056394742/i-made-this-as-i-fell-in-love-with-bards-poem
The poem is recited by Bard the Bowman on The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug, and I completely fell in love with it when I first heard it.
It is a prophecy about how The Lord of Silver Fountains (Thorin Oakenshield) will return to his throne under the mountain. I still get shivers every time I watch it!
You can watch the clip from the movie here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxKjrJZ3Is0

To turn this poem into an embroidery pattern, I just printed out a copy slightly smaller than the size of my square of calico and then traced the words onto the fabric with a tailor's chalk pencil (you shouldn't use a standard pencil as I learnt the hard way.)
I didn't want to do all of the words in the same colour thread because I thought that would look a bit bland and boring. Instead I thought it would look pretty cool if I embroidered each word in a colour associated with it, i.e. mountain in green and fountain in blue.

Sorry the picture quality is not the best :(

Some word, like emotions i.e. sadness, were a bit harder to colour match so I kind of just made them up as I went along. All words like at, in and the I embroidered in plain black thread.
When it was finished, I ironed it, trimmed the edges and then spent about half an hour trying to stretch out all the crinkles while I taped it into a frame.
In my opinion (although I am definitely biased after spending about 6 hours embroidering it) the finished product turned out well.


This project was quite easy. In fact the hardest part was probably trying to get it into the frame.
All you need is:
  • Patience
  • The ability to do line-stitch embroidery
  • A piece of calico or any other white fabric
  • Embroidery threads in the colours of your choice
  • A tailor's chalk pencil in any colour other than white
  • An embroider hoop
  • A frame
  • A needle
  • Some scissors



You could do this kind of thing with any poem, bible verse or movie quote etc. of your choice.
I am also embroidering a picture of Wash's dinosaurs from Firefly, I will try and remember to post pictures of that when I'm finished (remembers Firefly is no more and sobs in corner).
I would also like to say thanks to all of the people who are subscribed to/read my humble blog, you guys are awesome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment